In 2010 Google launched a loosely compression image format that provides 25%-34% smaller image sizes when compared to JPEG. Designers and developers can create rich lighter images that will increase their website loading speed.
The facts on WebP format:
- 26% smaller in size than PNG images
- Supports transparency at a 3x smaller size than PNG
- 25-34% smaller in size than JPEG images
- Supported on Chrome and Opera Browsers
WebP provides us with a great way of retaining image quality and smaller file sizes.
Does WordPress allow the use of WebP format?
- Natively no, but there are some plugins that can make WebP a recognizable format for WordPress. Here are 3 plugins we recommend: